Saturday, May 28, 2011

grown up collecting

Hmmm...I just realized that the title of my blog might hint to something a bit more...um...mature. However, that wasn't the intention.

Let me explain...

My parents (along with many "grown up" people I know) collect art from a particular artist. I've sort of always thought that collecting art, sculpture, photography, etc is a rite of passage into adulthood. It's such a "grown up" thing to do...realizing the potential value in something and investing in it. For many people, they choose to invest in the stock market or maybe even a risky CD account. I, however, choose to use my money to invest in something a bit more...um..pretty. And I'm not looking to make money or to gain value, persay, but to start to invest in something more than clothes and shoes.

Am I nesting? Eh.

Anywho, I discovered this awesome local artist when I was on vacation in Charleston, SC. He does a unique combination of photography, digital manipulation and actual painting and achieves quite an interesting result. His name is Paul Silva. You can visit his website here. (I linked you to the Charleston Gallery...but he has others, too.)

My first purchase? It's simply called "Shem Creek".

Shem Creek
Among the top contenders for my next purchase are:
Charleston Blue Crabs by Paul Silva
Charleston Blue Crabs
Lower Tradd Street I
Rainbow Reflections
Rainbow Reflections
Braod Street Dawn
Broad Street at Dawn
Battery Sunrise
Battery Sunrise
What do y'all think? Do any of you collect anything? If so, what?

2 comments:

  1. I collect paintings also!! Ever since I was little I've purchased a painting from all of my favorite places. The best I have are beautiful originals from the Bahamas and Costa Rica. ...And thanks for posting this. I'm always in search of a Charleston painter that isn't too expensive and I love his paintings! I'm going to Charleston next week so I'm going to try to find him. You should also check out Jeanie Drucker Gallery. I own one of hers, she does very pretty work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'll have to check her out.

    Paul Silva can be found at the Charleston City Market and at a few of the galleries located alongside the market. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me SO happy! Go ahead...make my day. ;)

SEARCH THIS BLOG